Unused Login Resources:


THE HISTORY ATTACHED TO STANSTED HALL:

Stansted Hall then had various owners until it was sold to Thomas de Vere, a son of Robert, third Earl of Oxford. In the Church there is an effigy to either Sir Roger or Sir John, but history does not record which one.

In 1438, Elizabeth, wife of John de Vere, 12th Earl of Oxford, inherited the Hall and Estate. Her husband espoused the Lancastrian cause and after the battle of Towton in 1461 the Earl and his son Aubry were arrested and tried for plotting to kill the King. They were both beheaded and all their lands, including Stansted Hall, were confiscated. The estate then became the property of the Duke of Norfolk and remained so for 23 years.

On his coronation in 1485, King Henry VII as an act of kindness conferred the land and estates of Stansted upon his mother-in-law, the Dowager Queen Elizabeth, widow of King Edward IV. Elizabeth (nee Woodville) was the mother of the two Princes (Edward V aged 12 and his brother Richard aged 9) who were reputedly murdered by their uncle Richard III in the Tower of London. It was her eldest daughter, Elizabeth of York, who married Henry VII, so uniting the rival factions of Lancashire and Yorkshire after the Wars of the Roses.

However, two years later Henry VII banished the Dowager Queen Elizabeth to a nunnery and restored Stansted Hall and its estates to the de Vere family, in whose possession it remained until 1582 when the 17th Earl, who was at that time Great Chamberlain of England, sold it to John Southall.

In 1588 John Southall conveyed the manors of Stansted to Edward Hubbard or Hubert who was a Clerk in Chancery; it was his son Sir Francis Hubbard who sold the estate in 1615 to Sir Thomas Myddleton, who was a Member of Parliament, a former Lord Mayor of London in 1613 and a dynamic merchant, who appears to have been a wealthy man of many talents. It was Sir Thomas Myddleton who built the Jacobean Hall in the early 1600’s. Sir Thomas Myddleton died aged 81 on the 12th August 1631 and is buried in the Parish Church.

His splendid monument and effigy may be seen on the south side of the Sanctuary in the Church. Inscribed on this monument are the words "Resigned his soul to Heaven, his body to the ground, in earnest expectation of a better life than this". (It is not known what better life he expected. He had lived well and been married four times.)

The Hall remained in the Myddleton family until 1710, when another Thomas Myddleton MP (a Member of four successive Parliaments in the reign of Queen Anne) died, leaving five daughters but no male heir.

The title was then bought by Thomas Heath, Member of Parliament for Harwich and the son of William Heath who had been a Captain in the service of the East India Company.

Previous   -   Next